Forums · Bloody Mary

sandlmull

0 +0

Jan 1 '03

I want some input on the Bloody Mary type games....Do they work or not ? Does anyone think that you can really call up spirits that way? [Pooper]
Rating: 0

Miss Grrl

0 +0

Jan 2 '03

If it does work,then it's never worked for me....I think the sheer terror you have in your mind is all the game is about.

Renee

0 +0

Jan 2 '03

I've always thought those games were a bunch of hooey, but I haven't tried them since I was in first grade.

KellKell

0 +0

Jan 2 '03

I don't know how/when/where the practice of trying to raise Bloody Mary in the mirror started, but... Do you know who "Bloody Mary" really is? Actually, she has nothing to do with spooks. Death, yes, spooks, no.

She was Queen Mary I of England (1553-1558) and was nicknamed so because she ordered the executions of so many Protestants (Church of England), in an effort to bring Catholicism back as the only religion of England. Among others, she also ended up ordering the death of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was the one that carried out her wishes to execute people (the same guy who had carried out executions of Catholics previously for the Protestant King Edward VI).

So, that's who "Bloody Mary" is. I don't think half the kids even know who 'Bloody Mary' is - it's just something spooky to do. I think trying to 'raise' her in the mirror is about as hopeful as raising Vlad Dracul in the mirror. [Wink]

Kell

Miss Grrl

0 +0

Jan 3 '03

You go Kell! Preach it sister! Wanna come plead my case at my job? Bet they wouldn't be left with any hair on their heads and d@@mned greatful that I remain here throught he end of the month [Laughing] [Laughing]

[ January 03, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Miss Grrl ]

KellKell

0 +0

Jan 3 '03

Don't tempt me! [Laughing]

sandlmull

0 +0

Jan 4 '03

Well I've never tired Bloody Mary but a medium and I did see the Bell Witch in a mirror .Which we raised in the silly game fashion . You have to do it on certain days and time such as the real day they died and at midnight...of corse it was an in tune with the spirts medium that helped me so it may not work for average people thanks for the input though guys:)

blackadder

0 +0

Jan 5 '03

I remember trying the Bloody Mary game when I was younger. I did everything they say you should. locked myself in the bathroom with the lights out. Turned around and said Bloody Mary three times and then Opened my eyes. All that happened was that I freaked myself out, thinking about what was going to appear in the mirror. Nothing did. I guess its all in the mind, what you want to see you will! I guess I didn't want to see anything! [Toothy Grin]

Pandora2

0 +0

Jan 5 '03

The only Bloody Mary I've tried involved vodka and a celery stick. [Laughing]

It's just another childish game to scare kids. Yet so many people ask about it. Personally, you couldn't get me to stand in front of a mirror and try to conjure up anything like that.

Growing up with Asian myths, we believed that if you stood in front of the mirror at midnight and peel an orange or apple from top to bottom without breaking the skin, you would see your future husband or wife. If you broke the skin, he or she would die and you will never meet. Doubtful that this is true either. [Wink]

nakis

0 +0

Jan 9 '03

I'm with Kim. I don't know if it works or not but you're never going to catch me trying to conjure up a spirit to appear in a mirror.

Ahh the good ole days Kell. Protestants butchering Catholics, Catholics butchering Protestants. Nothing like killing people for God. Sigh.

Connie

0 +0

Jan 9 '03

You won't even catch me glancing in a mirror in a dark room - it's one of my phobia.

Miss Grrl - e-mail me the names and phone numbers of those suits and I can have 100 insurance agents hound them into a rubber room.

[Big Grin]

cindy!spiritkeep

0 +0

Jan 9 '03

I remember hearing this story way back when I was a youngun [Wink] It scared us all too much to even try it then, much less as an adult. Sheesh, what in the world would ya do if something did show up [Eek!] 100% chicken here!!

marcelo!spiritkeep

0 +0

Jan 14 '03

If I tried it, I would probably snap! --hee heee--
[Laughing] [No!]

zippyduck

0 +0

Jan 17 '03

I think the whole idea of bloody mary appearing in the mirror stems from the fact that the mirror represents another space and time (think, alice through the looking glass) and the opposite side invites a parallel universe (some theories are that this is where ghosts go) they can't escape unless summoned
I have never done the bloody mary myself, but i throughly believe in spirits appearing through mirrors as i posted an experience here a while ago. I would never knowingly summon a spirit, because it is like a ouija board. sometimes it doesn't work sometimes it does. And i dont relish the thought of having an evil spirit following me around!!

[Colored Smiley]

Carrie

0 +0

Jan 17 '03

I never bought the Bloody Mary thing either, but I agree that there is something spooky about mirrors. While living in one house, an antique mirror I have would make odd, crackling and popping sounds. The house was pretty active paranormally. Since moving into this house, the sounds completely stopped. I'm with Connie -- no looking into mirrors in the dark! [No!]

Jeannie

0 +0

Jan 18 '03

I never could understand why anyone would want to summon any thing named Bloody Mary. What would you do with it if it showed up? [Eek!]

Does anyone remember a movie called Candyman? You summoned him by looking into a mirror and saying candyman three times. I had just divorced and was living on my own for the first time when I saw that movie. Believe me, for weeks after that, I was looking in the mirror just long enough to see if my hair was sticking up and my face was clean. [Toothy Grin]

cjmg

0 +0

Apr 30 '04

Well, according to legend/myth, Bloody Marry was a very beautiful person who was horribly disfigured by someone (an ex-husband???) and she seeks revenge on anyone she can, apparently any child foolish enough to conjure such a thing. I've never tried. Even though I know it's not true, I am very easy to scare (something that I get from my mother) and would not try it. Who would want to anyway? Have that come at you and try to horribly disfigure you as well. Yikes!!!

The mirror in the spare bedroom at my mother's house (the room that I sleep in when I stay the night there) always spooks me just a little bit for some reason. I don't know why, but it does. It's not an old mirror, nor is it in an old house (my mom and step-dad are the second owners and it wasn't built all that long ago) and nobody has died in that house and my mom, as far as I know, is the only person who has ever owned that mirror. It is a big oval shaped mirror in a wooden frame and can move back and forth. Like I said, I don't know why it spooks me, it just does.

hallowseve

0 +0

Apr 30 '04

That's a good one! The short story the movie Candyman was taken from was good as well. The man they picked to play him was just as I pictured him from the book.
I forget how the actual summoning goes something like at midnight you're supposed to say it ? many times in the mirror. I never got that far before my preteen friends & I would get a case of heebie jeebies! [Gasp]
I have a mirror I broke about 10 yrs ago that I keep. Not a shatter or fragments, it broke across the upper section a little jagged, but almost straight across.
On it is an ace of spades w/ a skull in the middle, a picture of Alice Cooper, & a picture of Spawn. I have a little black cat keychain hanging off it, & I'm currently looking for an 8 ball sticker & a # 13 for it. Lol!
The bad luck mirror, it's past it's 7 yrs... One of those dollar store full length jobbers. I'm not really sure sometimes why I do the things I do....Maybe it's to prove that they hold no power over me. [Nutty]

Miss Grrl

0 +0

Apr 30 '04

I recall as a child being double/triple dog dared to stand in a dark school bathroom and whispering Bloody Mary" three times...sadly she never appeared and I was sorely disappointed...I was "weird" even then. [Nerd]

KellKell

0 +0

Apr 30 '04

Well, I honestly couldn't blame Her Majesty for not popping up in every grade school bathroom mirror around the country and beyond, every time a kid asked her to. Think how tiring, let alone boring, *that* would be! [Laughing]

For any who don't know - or missed it on the first page of this thread, here's a little history[/URL] on the ol' gal. [Wink]

Kell

Next Page >>