Forums · Baghdad's Cultural Heritage

Kathleen

0 +0

Apr 15 '03

Does anyone have comments or opinions on the subject discussed in the following articles?
As a someone who has an educational background in Archaeology and works in a museum, I am saddened by it. Are you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2942449.stm[/URL]

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/15/sprj.irq.museum.looting/[/URL]

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/15/otsc.irq.clancy/index.html[/URL]

KellKell

0 +0

Apr 15 '03

Indeed. I certainly don't like the fact that the Iraqi people (or heck, even folks coming in from other countries!) saw fit to loot their own museum (and hospitals!) either, but I also believe that the coalition has had to prioritize when it comes to guarding things over there. The looting of the museum kinda reminded me of the Taliban blowing up the Budda statue that was carved into the mountain in Afghanistan. Not that I'm comparing the Iraqi civilians to the Taliban, just the fact that precious history has been taken from everyone.

Remember all the oil well fires back in 1991? 900 wells or so? That needlessly wasted irreplaceable resources, as well as damaged the environment for the world. I hate the thought that any antiquites were stolen; they cannot be replaced either, but at least some of them can possibly be found again. I heard on the news today that the U.S. is offering rewards for the return of such antiquities, etc. Hopefully it will work, since that's probably the main reason it was plundered in the first place - for money/personal gain.

The coalition doesn't have unlimited resources, nor perfect foresight, so I guess it comes down to -- what do you focus on to protect? What is the priority? Civilians? Oil? Antiquities? In my mind, and perhaps the coalition's as well, the most important of those would first be human life, and then the oil (Iraq's future), although I am saddened that some antiquities may be now be lost. =(

I think Brig. Gen. Vincent Brooks summed it up pretty well (taken from one of those articles): "Forces entering Baghdad were involved in 'very intense combat,' and in removing the regime and conducting military operations, a 'vacuum' was created. I don't think anyone anticipated that the riches of Iraq would be looted by the Iraqi people."

Kell
Rating: 0

Carrie

0 +0

Apr 16 '03

I completely agree with Kell. It is very sad, and a great loss to history and mankind that these antiquities may be lost. However, as was said, coalition forces have to prioritize what they protect, and human life will always come first and foremost.
I'm hoping that the rewards will bring some of the looted treasures back where they belong. I'm hoping that the people of Iraq will see that these things belong not only to their past, but also to their future. Nothing would please me more than to see Iraq become a prosperous nation, and one in which their future generations, as well as those in other countries, could enjoy the rich culture and history that these antiquities represent.

Kathleen

0 +0

Apr 16 '03

Prior to military action against Iraq, the US consulted scholors and experts and were provided lists of culturally significant sites and buildings. What the average person probably has not stopped to consider when they hear that libraries, archives, and museums are being looted is that it is an attack on human rights in a different way. Saddams last kick at his people.

"Public archives document the history of a people and their institutions; family and personal archives establish the identity and rights of individuals. The destruction of these records leaves individuals, families, and institutions without identity, history and proof of rights."
-Association of Canadian Archivists

Looting was expected. It is almost a tradition worldwide in the wake of turmoil. Heck, even the city of my birth, Los Angeles, has it down to a science! But what has gone on in Iraq is different, and goes beyond stealing manufactured goods and food.

KellKell

0 +0

Apr 17 '03

In a perfect world, so many things would be different.

None of us know what the situation is on the ground over there at any given time, really. We were not there to experience it. Nor does anyone know if some of this stuff might have disappeared before the war even started! According to what I've heard about this on the news, it's looking more and more like the big stuff was an inside job, and that, I should think, would raise a few eyebrows.

At any rate, what's done is done. With any luck, at least some of it will be recovered.

Kell