Forums · Did Marco Polo Really Even Make It To China?

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Jun 1 '03

Some historians believe that Marco Polo never even made it to China and that his years there are just a myth.

They point out his name not being mentioned in the Chinese imperial court records of the time and no mention by Polo of certain things that he should have observed had he have spent as many years there as he claimed, but did'nt and those things that he did write about were from what he heard from Arab travelers to the region - so some historians say.

[ June 01, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Ghostdancer ]
Rating: 0

nakis

0 +0

Jun 3 '03

I've heard similar claims. I've also heard that he only made it as far as a little west of China and no further.
So who did bring spaghetti and gunpowder back from the far east?

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Jun 3 '03

The story about spagetti is a legend and unconfirmed and don't know about gunpowder.

Getting to spagetti. Those oriental noodles that we can find at any grociery store is suppose to be the item that Marco Polo brought back with him and it is a lot like spagetti except it's curly. When I was serving in Korea was when I ate this for the first time ever. The locals would sell it for a quarter and we'd cook it up in our canteen cups and I recall noticing that it is just like spagetti.

I've heard that Marco Polo only made it as far as Turkey.

It is also noted that he never mentioned certain customs that he should have noticed had he spent as many years as claimed living there and he never mentions the great wall, but in the case of the great wall it was pretty much deteriorated at that time and was not restored until some 300 years later.