Forums · Skeletons of Roman Ashkelon

KellKell

0 +0

Jul 26 '03

I watched a show, The Skeletons of Roman Ashkelon, last night on the Discovery Times channel. I never knew about this!

Ashkelon was a very important port city in ancient times - a gateway to the middle east. Well, of course the Romans took over for a spell. Anyhow... back in 1988, archaeologists found the bones of 100 babies in a sewer beneath a Roman bathhouse! Although they've done several studies and consulted many scholars, they still don't understand the reason these babies were put there - they weren't buried properly, they were discarded. Disturbing, I know, but what a mystery.

Here's a link to the full story: Ashkelon's Dead Babies[/URL]

Kell

Trinity

0 +0

Jul 28 '03

Kell, that's a very interesting article. So sad too. It boggles the mind to think that it was so common place to just discard an unwanted child. It really makes me wonder what had happened!
Rating: 0

nakis

0 +0

Jul 28 '03

It's a sad story.
It's also possible that what they did was a mercy. Perhaps the mothers had contracted a venerial disease that was passed onto the child so that the child had nothing but pain and suffering to live with while it did live.
It could have been a something deep, dark and disgusting as a sociopathic/psychopathic killer steeling babies and dumping them there. It could be an age old mystery solved without us knowing the primary mystery.
Rating: 0