Forums · Tibetan Buddhist monk mummy

KellKell

0 +0

May 9 '04

This is very interesting. We saw a documentary on it the other morning on the Discovery-Times Channel.

This Tibetan monk basically mummified himself for the good of his community 500 years ago. Yes! By slowly starving himself for several months prior to going up into the mountains and doing Tantric meditation (there was a bit of asphyxia because he had part of his meditation belt wrapped around his neck). The starvation helped to decrease the size of his organs, and being in an arid area, he didn't decompose - he mummified.

Monk mummy found in mountains[/URL]

Kell

hallowseve

0 +0

May 9 '04

Does anyone know why it was for the good of the community? Was it a ritualistic sort of thing that was good for the community? Just makes me wonder. Thankyou Kell that was kinda sad & very fascinating. Just wondering why....hmmmmmmm [Nerd]
Rating: 0

KellKell

0 +0

May 11 '04

I believe it was during a time that the crops were failing and it wasn't uncommon for the monks to sacrafice themselves to the gods, for the better good of the community. Happy gods=good crops & other good fortunes. =)

Kell

hallowseve

0 +0

May 12 '04

Thanx Kell, that's what I figured, just wondered if the show you saw said more...Can't imagine sitting in the dark starving to death like that...Bet he saw some wild stuff as his brain started to waste...Spooky, & noble at the same time. Hope it helped! [Gasp]

wilhelmina

0 +0

May 18 '04

HOw would a buddhist monk sacrifice himself to the gods? ISn't part of the idea with buddhism that there are no gods?
But anyway, that's really interesting! It said they didn't know where the mummy is now, and I really hopre he hasn't been lost or stolen or anything!

hallowseve

0 +0

May 18 '04

"The report did not say where the mummy is now being kept."

That's from the article, they just didn't say. Probably don't want to for many reasons.Not sure about the Buddhist Monk philosophy on god or gods.

nakis

0 +0

May 19 '04

Buddhism is not a religion. Though many think of it as a religion. It's a practice to train and discipline the mind for various reasons.

There are many different types of Buddhists and many of them believe in a pantheon of Gods. Though some are monotheistic. If you are a buddhist you can believe whatever god or gods you wish.