Forums · Green Flash at Sunset.

Ghostdancer

0 +0

May 17 '04

I was once told by a relative that if you watch the sun just as it sets on an ocean horizon there will appear a green flash; well, in the two times that I have observed an ocean sunset I have not seen any green flash.
Rating: 0

KellKell

0 +0

May 17 '04

Hmm. I've not heard that one before. If I had an ocean to practice on, I would! =P

Kell

Miranda

0 +0

May 17 '04

You mean you don't live on ocean front property Kell??? Gee and I thought you would [Nutty] Well seeing as I don't have an ocean view either I've never experienced this or even heard of it, but I'll ask some of my lucky buddies who live in South Florida.

KellKell

0 +0

May 17 '04

The property is only ocean front when the pipes burst.  -

I live in Florida...I don't live on the coast but I have been there several times when the sun sets and rises and I have not seen any green flashes either....

corupt

0 +0

Sep 9 '04

This is supposed to happen if you are on the Gulf coast of Florida. I have a friend who saw it and he said it is amazing. You have to be on the Gulf watching the sun set and he said the exact moment the sun sets, there is a bright flash of light. I am pretty sure he said blue but I can't remember.

Kevin P

0 +0

Sep 9 '04

I've seen sunsets on the ocean (in Florida) but it was years ago and I certainly don't remember any green or blue flash... but one possibility is that it could be sunlight refracted through the ocean water. The instant the sun disappears, sunlight could still reach your eyes "through" the water for a moment. Since the ocean looks blue or green when seen from the sky, it makes sense that this "flash" would also be blue or green as well.

SavannahSilkie

0 +0

Sep 13 '04

I live close to the beach, and have seen a lot of sunsets, but I haven't been fortunate enough to see a green flash. I've heard of them. Here's a pic of one I got from a good site that explains them and has some pics. It's at Green Flash [/URL]

-

[ September 13, 2004, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: SavannahSilkie ]