Forums · Amityville Horror

cat!spiritkeep

0 +0

Aug 8 '04

There was a great show on C to C a few months back on this. If I remember correctly the guest was the 1st cop on the scene. He talked about things before the media hit the scene and things that have happened to him and others linked to the case afterwards (strange and bad things). I'm sure that after a tragedy like this there would be a ton of negative energy surrounding it so it's no wonder that others were affected by it.

Is it true that the evil was there first and caused this? I can only go on is: A) what has been printed on this (we all know how the media can distort this) and B) comments given by some known psychics like SB. SB has stated this is not ture. That the boy who committed this crime was a very sick of mind individual and did not do this by some demonic possession. Based on A or B I go with what B says. So I guess I don't believe.
Rating: 0

Miranda

0 +0

Aug 9 '04

IMO it's a heck of a story, but just a story. I don't believe that the house was haunted nor that Ronald DeFeo was possessed when he committed those horrible crimes. While I'm sure afterwards there was some very negative energy it is my thought that the Lutzes bit off of bit more than they could chew with the house and came upon a good idea to make money.

KellKell

0 +0

Aug 11 '04

At All About Ghosts, we interviewed Ric Osuna, author of The Night the DeFeos Died. You might like to read...

Ric Osuna interview at AAG[/URL]

Kell

nakis

0 +0

Aug 11 '04

I read somewhere that the Lutzes fabricated the stories to get money. That the whole story around the house short of the actual murders is untrue. The only demonic possession that seemed to happen was from the demon Greed.
That's just what I read.

Carrie

0 +0

Aug 11 '04

I think a lot of things were going on with this case. I personally think Ronald DeFeo was a random nut and that he was not possessed. Raving lunatic, yes. Possessed by demons, no; other than his own personal ones. I do think it is possible for people to be possessed, but I believe it is a VERY rare occurance.

I think the Lutzes took a tragedy and profitted from it. I don't doubt the home had a lot of negative energy, I would even go as far as to say it possibly was haunted. Any place that had witnessed that degree of tragedy probably would be. However, I don't believe it was as dramatic as the Lutzes claimed. I believe these were opportunists of the worst sort.

Trinity

0 +0

Aug 11 '04

I have to agree with both Carrie and Nakis. I had also heard that the story the Lutzes gave was just a hoax to make some money.

I had actually read somewhere that there were a few paranormal things that occured...but nothing like the story that they gave. Although I don't know if I even believe that a few out of the ordinary things ever happened at all.

As far as Ronald DeFoe goes, I don't really believe that he was possesed. I agree with Carrie on that one...I think it can happen...but very rarely. In this case I think he was just more then a little crazy to begin with and the voices in his head (not the house) got the better of him.

It's ashame the the Lutzes would take advantage of such a tragedy like that.

Green Witch

0 +0

Aug 12 '04

The man was a cold blooded killer and thats it, Tho I do believe that since the killings took place that there would be some negtive vibes in the house. I am ave heard like everyone else, that the family did it for money as well. Sadly, money can be te root of all evil.

Wicked Replicant

0 +0

Aug 12 '04

Like Trinity, I heard that some supernatural phenomena occured on the property, but nothing to the extent of the story the book tells. I personally think the story told in the book is false. I always thought it was way too over the top to be true (just an opinion). Yet, I too was quite fascinated and terrified by the story for awhile. It is definitely an interesting tale!

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Sep 21 '04

I have read and heard that Defeos' father was reputed to have been a member of the mafia. Has this ever been established?

Clarissa2

0 +0

Sep 22 '04

I must say I agree with the majority of the replies. I think the man was just completely wacko, & probably "wacked out" on something...something besides demons or voices in his head! I have actually had the pleasure, or the opportunity I should say, of seeing the real house. My brother-in-law Wayne grew up on Long Island, & his mother used to go to the same beauty shop as Mrs. DeFoe. My husband (ex now) my sister Teresa, & her husband (& me of course) all went to see the Mets play way back in '85, & Wayne took us by "the house", it was a beautiful place. My sister was hanging her head out the car window taking pictures...Teresa & Wayne were there again last summer & apparantly the family that now resides in the house had to change the windows, & I think even changed their house number because they were constantly being bombarded by tourists (much like us LOL) taking pictures & even going as far as going up to the door & asking if they could come in just to "see" the place. They changed the windows, because they were so unique, just like in the movie, that they were a dead giveaway...(no pun intended..lol) Anyway, Wayne & Teresa talked to the present owner who was mowing the lawn at the time. Its just really cool how you can ask anyone around the area for directions to "The HOUSE" & they know exactly which house you're talking about...oh! & Wayne asked the man if all the stories about the house being haunted were true, & he said the guy told him he didn't know what the Lutz
family went through, but that they had never experienced anything out of the ordinary, so I guess as far as it being a hoax, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But as for me, I really doubt that everything the Lutz' told was true, at least not to the extent they portrayed it to be...I mean a flying pig-like creature with red eyes! Give me a break!!!LOL Guess we'll never know the real truth, though. Take care all! Clarissa

BoPeep and G

0 +0

Oct 24 '04

Wow what a cool board. I was looking for something like this to talk about JUST THIS HOUSE ! Then a member of another board I frequent posted and here I am.

I've been out to the house before and while I don't believe much of what was written, aside from the gruesome murders, I do believe that place holds some really very powerfully negative energy. A radio station I used to work for took a trip to a few notorious places one October, and Amityville was the 2nd stop on our trip. We didn't see anything out of the normal, but none of our cell phones or laptop broadcast equipment would work if we were any closer to the home than 200 feet. And the energy around the house was just really cold. But that's all that stood out in my mind. Nothing else weird or unusual happened.

Clarissa2

0 +0

May 15 '05

Kell, thanks for posting these sites, they are awesome! Does anyone remember Sylvia Brownes take on the "hauntings?"....I heard her speak of it once, but I can't remember whether she says the stories are true or not...

Rowan

0 +0

Jun 24 '08

A few years ago while I was living in California, I discovered a new and quite interesting television programme called 'City Confidential' on A&E. I still watch it whenever I can, though most of the time it's hit or miss. Anyway, one day I was watching it when they started talking about Amityville. It kinda threw me because I thought the tv guide listing was wrong, but as I'm interested in the paranormal, I stuck it out. Turns out they werer talking about the DeFeos. If you've never seen City Confidential, they usually discuss some of the country's grizzliest murders and crimes.

Ronald DeFeo was high on drugs the day he murdered his family. He spent most of that day in a bar with friends and went from the bar to his house to "check up on something" and murdered his family. He then returned to the bar for a short while after. He was a bad kid from the start and his dad didn't do anything to make the situation better. He was demanding and abusive.

As for the Lutzes, I'm sure there were hauntings, but not to the extent they portrayed, as Trinity stated. After all, their house was built on Native American burial grounds. There are bound to be a few ticked off Native Americans. [Wink]

ghostwatch

0 +0

Jun 24 '08

I personally feel that this family was in need of financial help and they preyed on the public with this tale. My belief is that "watch what you put out there, because it will come back to you two-fold".