Forums · Teen's Home Prison

Trinity

0 +0

Feb 11 '05

It's heartbreaking to think that people can get away with abuse like this for so long. It's also amazing to me how some can not see how fortunate they are to have children.

My heart really goes out to this girl. I hope that she finds a permanent home soon, full of the love and warmth that she deserves.

Trin
Rating: 0

Carrie

0 +0

Feb 12 '05

They need to put those cretins under the jail, not in it.

Back when I was teaching, I saw some pretty awful cases of abuse that we would report, Children's Protective Services would come out, everything would be denied and the case closed. Looks like the same thing happened to this child earlier on. These people kill or nearly kill these kids before anything is done about it.

I taught a brother and sister that were truly a heart wrenching case, which this reminded me of. The little girl was in fourth grade, and her little brother in kindergarten. They also had an older brother in junior high. To make a long story short, I kept noticing the little girl had a round patch of hair missing from the top of her head. My first thought was ring worm, or something similar, so naturally, I sent her to the nurse.

Various other things led to some suspicions, and we called CPS in. The CPS goofball left a note on the door saying he would return in two weeks. The mother, who had a real reputation in the community, hired a pair of thugs to come in and clean out her home. (Lots of whiskey bottles, and even a few animal carcasses, I later learned.) She then went to her own mother and borrowed furniture to make it look like they were living in a fairly decent home. CPS idiot comes back and reports to us that he really didn't see anything wrong.

By then, Mama knows I was the one who blew the whistle. She pulls every trick in the book that year trying to give me problems, from calling in a drugged out "counselor" (no exaggeration, every meeting the school had with this guy, he was stoned. The school eventually called a governing body to report his misconduct) to tell me I'm causing this little girl to literally pull her hair out because I make her nervous due to giving her class assignments.

When "stoner dude" was replaced, it was with a very reasonable young woman, fresh out of internship, who told me this woman was a raving lunatic and that she was concerned for my personal safety because the mother had made some threats against me. Law enforcement was called in and put a lid on the mother harassing me. Unfortunately, by then, this little girl and her younger brother were emaciated and she had a bald spot about 4 inches in diameter on the top of her head.

My principal and I were literally sneaking food to these little kids via their backpacks. This was truly one of the saddest situations I've ever encountered.

The next year, the mother was involved in a drug bust. Police found that she had been feeding the children dog food, and had sexually abused all three of them. The oldest brother finally solved the mystery of his sister's bald spot -- mom had been methodically pulling it out, bit by bit.

These kids would never tell anyone what was going on, and we all but stood on our heads to get to the root of it and find out what was going on. We hear about these cases on the news and think that it is an extreme situation, and it is; however, I guarantee there are a lot more cases out there where nothing is ever reported or followed through with.

The little girl in the Arizona case shows the triumph and courage of the human spirit. I can't imagine the emotional scars of living that kind of nightmare would ever fully heal, but I hope they do and the child finds a loving home and has nothing but happiness in her life from now on. She certainly deserves it.

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Feb 12 '05

They ought to give these people the Elisabeth Bathory treatment - wall them up.

bobbygee

0 +0

Feb 14 '05

That trully is a sad story. I too hope she can find a family that will give her all the love she missed. It reminds me of the story of the girl who was kept in a coffin sized box under her abductors bed for 7 years!, until she finally escaped. I am not sure about the date but I believe it happened in the late 70's?
--------------------------------------------------

Bobbygee