Forums · Texas school bus.....

robbert

0 +0

Jun 6 '05

I was listening to C2C a few days back and they were discussing the tragic accident that involved children getting killed when their 'bus'? stalled on the railrod tracks. I didn't get a chance to listen to the entire show as I had company and couldn't focus my attention on the show. I f anyone knows the story I would sure like to know. The guest was saying that people would line their cars up for a turn on the tracks. How creepy. The big line was always on the anniversary of the accident.

--------------------------------------------------
If this belongs in Truth or Tall Tale please feel free to move it. Thanx.

[ June 06, 2005, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: robbert ]
Rating: 0

Carrie

0 +0

Jun 6 '05

Robbert, this incident suposedly occured in a subdivision in San Antonio. As the story goes, in the 1930's, a bus load of children stalled on some railroad tracks and were killed by a train. In their memory, the streets of the subdivision were named after them. According to legend, if you stop your car on the tracks late at night, little ghostly children will push you over the tracks to safety. Curiousity seekers will put talcum powder on their back bumpers and are amazed to find tiny little handprints. The San Antonio Police spend time each Halloween supervising the loads of people who come to see for themselves.

Now, a healthy dose of skepticism: There is no record of a school bus accident at that location. The streets of the subdivision were named after the builder's children. The tracks are at an angle, that when you stop your vehicle, it is going to roll down the incline. The ghostly little handprints in the powder? Comes from kids in parking lots. Little kid puts a hand on your car's bumper the last time you visited Wal-Mart. You go out to experience this "mysterious supernatural phenomenon", sprinkle your bumper, hop in your car hoping for a close up encounter with the unexplained, hop out to take a look see, and lo and behold, there are fingerprints -- from the tot that went through the Wal Mart parking lot laying sticky little hands on all the cars his Mommy dragged him past. I saw a policeman on television years ago demonstrate this.

There are loads of legitimate haunted sites in San Antonio, it has the distinction, with good reason, of being the most haunted city in Texas. However, there isn't anything ghostly going on at this location. My advice to anyone reading this who may visit the ghostly sites of San Antonio -- You won't be disappointed, lots of stuff in this city; but, skip this one. Let the police department get back to catching bad guys, not supervising folks looking for a thrill that really isn't there.

**Robertt, I went ahead and moved the thread. I'm glad you brought up this topic. This is a big urban legend in Texas, but it is one a lot of people buy into, unaware it has been proven false.

[ June 06, 2005, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Carrie ]

robbert

0 +0

Jun 6 '05

Thank you Carrie for the info on the 'school bus' incident. Yes, they did mention the talcum powder method of producing 'tiny hand prints' on the back of the car bumper and trunk. I do recall the guest stating that many people believed the road slanted downward (which would explain the car rolling forward) and so he and his team used various levels and discovered that the road slanted uphill! I didn't get to hear much else about it and a search at C2C came up emty. I did get a chance to visit the Alamo once back in the late 80's. Back then I didn't know about the school bus story.

-----------------------------------------------------------

robbert

Carrie

0 +0

Jun 7 '05

That is interesting about the road slanting uphill. I've never been to the location, but I've heard a lot about it and always heard that it was downhill.

I guess what really has sold me on it being a bogus story was the fact that the accident was never documented.

Green Witch

0 +0

Jun 7 '05

I heard this story on Art Bell on coast to coast am about 3 weeks ago about 15 or so ppl called and each had a different story about it. I do argee with Carrie. Some stuff can be explained and since there was no record on the crash, its just another urban tale=D

robbert

0 +0

Jun 8 '05

Yeah, I guess I've just heard bits and pieces of the story and never read the full account or details of the incident. Thaks to you both. BTW - I tried doing a search and found nothing?

----------------------

robbert

PorkChopExpress

0 +0

Jun 8 '05

This urban myth has spread to several states now. There are at least 3 that claim to have such a place.