Forums · Katrina Crime

SavannahSilkie

0 +0

Sep 8 '05

Ya know... I just had to comment here about this. I have never been so disgusted with the human race in all my life. There are some sick/evil people in this world, that's for sure.

I am mainly referring to the crime that was taking place in New Orleans, especially in the Astrodome, during Katrina. Arthel Neville, (A Current Affair)reported that her cousin witnessed a 7-yr old girl being raped then murdered in the Astrodome. Several men got the assailant and beat him to death. There were numerous other rapes and beatings and murders during that time. I mean, what in the world? I am just shaking my head and totally disgusted. No matter what was going on, there was no excuse for violence against children or anyone else. It sickens me, it really does. As far as looting, in my view, if people were taking things they needed for survival or for the survival of their children, then so be it; but, taking tv's, vcrs, etc... uh uh. And then, to make matters even worse, they had snipers shooting at rescue workers?????? Can you say, "duh" [Roll Eyes] We are supposed to be a civilized society, and disaster or not, there was no excuse for some of the actions a few "sick" folks decided to take. Scarey, and there again is another example of the government's failing to have proper authority in place at the time of the disaster and they knew for 5 days a storm was brewing and headed their way. I feel safe, don't you?

Ok, I'm done venting....
Pate

P.S. No I'm not... OMW, on Headline News, they just showed pics from the Convention Center in New Orleans, where there were people's bodies which were actually mutilated... God help us all if the government doesn't get it's act together to handle disasters. The National Guard or Armed Forces should have been called in Before this storm ever hit.

[ September 09, 2005, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: SavannahSilkie ]
Rating: 0

Carrie

0 +0

Sep 10 '05

I agree Pate. Local, state and federal officials dropped the ball on this one and are still dropping the ball in certain facets.

When my husband and I heard that people were to be taken to the Superdome, I looked at him and said "that is going to be nothing but a death trap."

I love New Orleans. However, the city has always had a strong criminal element. Putting that element in with the rest of society under one roof and factor in some of these looney toons who are free from restraints of law enforcement, probation officers and their medications and it is a recipe for disaster.

I have a feeling we will be hearing more and more stories in the days, weeks and months to come. When all of this is over, there are going to be some folks who are really going to have to answer for some things.

Renee

0 +0

Sep 10 '05

I do agree that government officials messed up royally. If help had come immediately, as it should have, much could have been done to prevent the deaths, injuries, crime and mass hysteria that happened after the hurricane. An interview with Nagin also pointed out that there is/was a huge drug problem in N.O. and that left drug addicts without their drugs- which obviously was leading to unstable and violent behavior from the drug addicts.

I am wary though of believing all the horror stories, such as this 7yr. old child being raped and murdered. There are going to be alot of horror stories, some will be true and some won't. There certainly was a great deal of violence after the hurricane but, I'll remain skeptical of some of the more fantastic stories until they are confirmed by reliable sorces.

Dutch

0 +0

Sep 10 '05

Down Here we've heard several stories about how everybody buggered up and the various excuses offered. Most of it's just about how to blame that Texan bloke who's in the Whitehouse for everything that ever happens in the world at the moment.

From what I've read (and then not read cos it didn't suit the above situation) your government gave warnings to Nadin for five days as it was approaching but he refused to do anything about it. Apparently over there state government can overrule Federal government suggestions if they so wish. In this case it seems the New Orleans government didn't take it seriously until a day before it rocked up on the doorstep.

Also we're hearing how money was taken away from the levee constructions for the war effort (which is another story of two sides and only one side being heard). What a lot seem to be ignoring is that the levee bank the water broke through was only recently upgraded anyway. It wouldn't have made any difference.

As for the violence...it sounds like it's mainly the criminal element of the city. Not nice at all, but I prefer to look elsewhere to find the good side of the human condition. Unfortunately that means away from the news reels...

PorkChopExpress

0 +0

Sep 11 '05

I feel it necessary to post this info. Too many people are playing the blame game. Like it or not, the "Big Easy" has been corrupt for many, many years. Doesn't anyone remember when they had to fire almost the entire police force? Remember Huey Long? Here is a post from a journalist who shares the knowlege of where the blame truly lays.

This is a post from Bill Weiler, freelance journalist, over in Merritt Island, FL, who has been researching what went on before the storm hit. These are the authors comment - I find them very interesting.
--
Politics over Duty

I think all of Mayor Nagin's pomp and posturing is going to bite him hard in the near future as the lies and distortions of his interviews are coming to light.

On Friday night before the storm hit Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane Center took the unprecedented action of calling Mayor Nagin and Governor Blanco personally to plead with them to begin MANDATORY evacuation of New Orleans and they said they'd take it under consideration. This was after the NOAA buoy 240 miles south had recorded 68' waves before it was destroyed.

President Bush spent Friday afternoon and evening in meetings with his advisors and administrators drafting all of the paperwork required for a state to request federal assistance (and not be in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act or having to enact the Insurgency Act). Just before midnight Friday evening the President called Governor Blanco and pleaded with her to sign the request papers so the federal government and the military could legally begin mobilization and call up. He was told that they didn't think it necessary for the federal government to be involved yet. After the President's final call to the governor she held meetings with her staff to discuss the political ramifications of bringing federal forces. It was decided that if they allowed federal assistance it would make it look as if they had failed so it was agreed upon that the feds would not be invited in.

Saturday before the storm hit the President again called Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin requesting they please sign the papers requesting federal assistance, that they declare the state an emergency area, and begin mandatory evacuation. After a personal plea from the President, Nagin agreed to order an evacuation, but it would not be a full mandatory evacuation, and the governor still refused to sign the papers requesting and authorizing federal action. In frustration the President declared the area a national disaster area before the state of Louisiana did so he could legally begin some advanced preparations. Rumor has it that the President's legal advisers were looking into the ramifications of using the insurgency act to bypass the Constitutional requirement that a state request federal aid before the federal government can move into state with troops - but that had not been done since 1906 and the Constitutionality of it was called into question to use before the disaster.

Throw in that over half the federal aid of the past decade to New Orleans for levee construction, maintenance, and repair was diverted to fund a marina and support the gambling ships. Toss in the investigation that will look into why the emergency preparedness plan submitted to the federal government for funding and published on the city's website was never implemented and in fact may have been bogus for the purpose of gaining additional federal funding as we now learn that the organizations identified in the plan were never contacted or coordinating into any planning - though the document implies that they were.

The suffering people of New Orleans need to be asking some hard questions as do we all, but they better start with why Blanco refused to even sign the multi-state mutual aid pack activation documents until Wednesday which further delayed the legal deployment of National Guard from adjoining states. Or maybe ask why Nagin keeps harping that the President should have commandeered 500 Greyhound busses to help him when according to his own emergency plan and documents he claimed to have over 500 busses at his disposal to use between the local school busses and the city transportation busses - but he never raised a finger to prepare them or activate them.

This is a sad time for all of us to see that a major city has all but been destroyed and thousands of people have died with hundreds of thousands more suffering, but it's certainly not a time for people to be pointing fingers and trying to find a bigger dog to blame for local corruption and incompetence. Pray to God for the survivors that they can start their lives anew as fast as possible and we learn from all the mistakes to avoid them in the future.

SavannahSilkie

0 +0

Sep 11 '05

One thing we can all agree on, is there are things that man cannot control, such as Mother Nature. I am also aware that New Orleans is reputed to have one of the most "corrupt" governments in the country. It's not so much pointing a finger of blame, but it is a matter of needing to know who and what went wrong so we can be prepared in the future for disasters whether they are man-made or nature. The governments and agencies on all levels dropped the ball here, there is no doubt about it. So it's time to learn and I agree, pray for those who survived that they can get their lives back together.

As for the crime in the Superdome and the Convention Center, I do believe from the reports and pictures that were taken, that these things did take place. Athel Neville, is a reporter of a good reputation, and her whole family (including Aaron Neville, the singer), are from New Orleans. There was heartbreak in her voice as she reported these atrocities. Also, a CNN reporter walked through the convention center with a security person yesterday, and he showed where some criminals would take women and rape them in the convention center.

I agree, too, on focusing on the good, but we also need to realize, that the criminal element has to be evacuated too, and when you are put in a place with 1,000's of people, there are bound to be some not so kind folks in there with you. The psychopaths evacuate also.

I posted this here, not to focus on the bad, but as something to think about, after all, some of what happened were crimes against humanity. Many of us wouldn't think a shelter in a storm could also be a place where a person could be raped or murdered. This is just another point, of where we need to be prepared in the future.

Carrie

0 +0

Sep 12 '05

PCE, I've been hearing these same disturbing things regarding the events leading up to and after Katrina. Louisiana politics have always been a sordid mess. I believe heads are going to roll at all levels when more of this is sorted out.

I've also heard the rumor, and it is just rumor, that Nagin supported Blanco's opponent in the Louisiana gubernatorial race. Blanco supposedly stated at one point that she would make Nagin "pay" for that. I sincerely hope this was not her method. I would hate to think so many people lost their lives over petty politics, but not much surprises me anymore.

I listened to a radio interview with Nagin yesterday and he was definitely dodging questions and doing the "politician's dance." When asked why he did not utilize the school buses, he made some comment to the effect "That is a matter that will be looked into..." He never offered a straight answer, but implied that he blamed Blanco for the fiasco.

FEMA has been a bad joke. I don't believe it needs to be put under Homeland Security. After this, I think we've seen the necessity of putting it back as a cabinet level position and putting someone in charge of it that is more prepared to handle a disaster of this magnitude.

Pate, I'm also of the opinion that a lot of these things did indeed take place. I don't doubt there have been false reports, but I can guarantee that Superdome was not a good, safe place to be. I don't think we will know the extent of the attrocities for some time. I also listened to Arthel Neville's account. I've also got to admit, watching the reporters on CNN, FOX, and others, there were a few whom I felt were close to having a breakdown just from the overwhelming frustration of being so helpless in the situation and being so close to an extremely dangerous situation. Several commented they, as journalists were not supposed to become emotionally involved in a story but could not help but do so. I'm hoping those networks got those folks some counseling afterwards. Several did not look well mentally and/or physically.

It was reported that the city jail was evacuated and prisoners turned loose. Most of these folks weren't in for skipping Sunday school. Just this weekend, this was being discussed on a local radio program. We have a lot of these folks who are in Houston (and the rest of the country) now, who are lost in the judicial system. They aren't checking in with probation officers, they are essentially free and likely to commit other crimes.

You are right -- these are things we all need to think about and be more prepared for in the future.

cat!spiritkeep

0 +0

Sep 12 '05

Hindsight is always 20-20, however by the accounts reported and read here clearly there was sight of what needed to be done but those individuals in the position of power opted to ignore it or put their personal agendas first (IMO).

I have read in past about the corruption that has existed in New Orleans for quite some time and the situation that occured within the police dept. Sadly we can look at any major city, or town for that matter, in any Country and find corruption within the legal or political systems. The people of N.O. have experienced on-going corruption on a larger scale than most and with the activity of late have paid a horrendous price as a result.

Pate I too have heard and read of some of the unspeakable crimes against humanity and I fear to think there may be more yet to be told. Although there is chance that some reports may be less than factual I believe the reporters have done their best to provide fact over speculation or rumor when it comes to the crime element. With there being a high incidence of crime prior to Katrina and you mix some of those criminals along with addicts into a shelter of thousands without adequate security horrendous things can and will happen. I too am inclined to believe much of what has been reported did take place both in and out of the dome. =( I hope I'm wrong. It is at times like these we are reminded and witness to how dark and evil some people truly are.

Carrie I too hope the reporters will be provided with counseling, as your right it has been evident that a few appeared close to breakdown. As journalist they are told not to get emotionaly involved or show their feelings yet how can they not? I can't imagine how overwhelming this has been on them and the helplessness they have felt along with so many others. They are not machines with on and off buttons.

It is important to focus on the good but in order to learn from mistakes made there is a need to examine the rest. I continue to pray for all the people who have been affected by Katrina, may they find the strength to rebuild and start their lives anew. May all those still missing find their way to their loved ones and families still seperated be united soon.

[ September 12, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Cat ]