Forums · Winnie Ruth Judd: The "Trunk Murderess"

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Mar 29 '07

I read the book "The Trunk Murderess: Winnie Ruth Judd" by Jana Bommersbach and am now reading "Winnie Ruth Judd: The Trunk Murders" by Dwight Dobkins and Robert J. Hendricks. This case seems to have been forgotten by time perhaps in light of the crimes by Dillinger and others during the same time period, but was big news at the time. I remember hearing about Winnie Ruth Judd being recaptured in 1969 and that was the first I'd heard of her or the murder case that took place in Phoenix in 1931.

WINNIE RUTH JUDD: "THE TRUNK MURDERESS" IN PERSPECTIVE[/URL]

KellKell

0 +0

Mar 31 '07

Yes, it's an interesting case. Although I know of it, having lived here in Phoenix forever, I've never read much indepth about it. I need to buy some books to reacquaint myself! =P

Kell
Rating: 0

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Mar 31 '07

Actually, I didn't finish reading "Winnie Ruth Judd: The Trunk Murders" by Dwight Dobkins and Robert J. Hendricks, I find it dull since it is mostly about the trials. The other book I mentioned is pretty good though.

I understand the home where the killings occurred is still standing. I'd like to see it the next time I come down to Phoenix. Tucson has the House where John Dillinger was captured and Phoenix has the home where the WRJ killings took place.

I myself have to question how a woman who was slight in build and suffering from tuberculosis could have done such a follow up job. Though she had TB she lived until 1998 when she died at age 92.

[ March 31, 2007, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Ghostdancer ]

KellKell

0 +0

Mar 31 '07

I know that Jana Bommersbach is a bright lady - I'd like to read her book.

I wonder if WRJ was just a "mule" for the body parts to be trasported (and someone else did the killing)? Again, my recollections of the case are scetchy right now, but after you mentioned her illness, it makes me wonder.

Do you know where the WRJ house is? I didn't know it was still standing!

Kell

Ghostdancer

0 +0

Mar 31 '07

2929 N. Second Street is the address Kell.

There are some who believe that her "lover" "Happy Jack" Halloran actually did the killings, but she admitted to doing so herself, in self defense.

[ April 04, 2007, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Ghostdancer ]