Forums · What was your earliest childhood memory?

shyhorse

0 +0

Oct 7 '07

The other day I was talking with Kell and I realized my earliest memory is very early. I remember myself drawing on the marble floor of my parents' new apartment. I was 1 year and half. When I focus on that memory I see myself in the entry/foyer of the apartment, down on my knees, a bunch of crayolas around me, while drawing lines on the floor. Actually, I have two memories of the same event. One is as I described: I see myself drawing, like I am someone standing near the front door, taller than the kid on the floor. Then I also see my drawing, like I am myself seeing the floor.
Most of the times, when I have a childhood memory, it doesn't feel like I was a kid at all. And when I ask my parents what age I was, I'm usually surprised.
So... now I'm all curious to find out if someone has had similar experiences at such an early age.
Feel free to write yours too =)

[ October 07, 2007, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: shyhorse ]
Rating: 0

ghostwatch

0 +0

Oct 8 '07

My earliest memory was at age 2 and your all gonna get a huge laugh [Laughing] out of this one and I don't blame ya!! I remember taking chocolate out of my grandma's fridge and finding a hiding place next to one of those old-time grill heaters. I ate the whole thing and the punch line is....it was Ex-lax guys!!!!! Anyway, I remember having intelligent thoughts going thru my mind not the scatter of toddler talk. I've always been very deep and have never felt like a child in my mind, only the body. It's hard to put into words but it's like a robot being controlled by someone who can also talk for it. Make sense??? [Sigh]

shyhorse

0 +0

Oct 8 '07

oh, I know exactly what you mean about the 'not feeling like a child', and I do agree, it's hard to explain...
nice thing with the Ex-Lax! LOL... [Big Grin]

Wickedwitchnorth

0 +0

Oct 8 '07

I can remember sitting on the stairs going into the attic, at my Grandma's, and eating her chocolate that she used to make candy. I would then sneak out, mind you with chocolate all over me and Grandma would ask me if I had been in the chocolate. I would say "Oh, no Grandma, you told me not to". Never thinking that I would have it all over me. LOL LOL LOL.

I ate the "chocolate" in the bathroom too!!! I always wondered why it tasted so funny, now I know.

Ghostwatch, I know what you mean. It is like you are being controlled by someone else and you are just going with it. I feel that way sometimes myself. Always have.

ghostwatch

0 +0

Oct 8 '07

Believe it or not, the Ex-lax didn't do anything! I never did figure that one out... =P

Wickedwitchnorth

0 +0

Oct 8 '07

Oh, it did me. I remember that all too well. My Mom was so angry with me over it. Grandma told her to leave it be, that I was being punished enough!!!!! LOL LOL LOL. I never did that again.

Mom being a steel hauler, when I wasn't in school I was in the truck with her. Which I very much enjoyed. I was able to see the lower 48 states. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Carrie

0 +0

Oct 9 '07

I have a very early memory of not being more than two years of age and a small duplex my biological parents lived in. I can see the sliding glass doors and a yard that was a little overgrown. My biological parents divorced when I was about two and I was adopted by my maternal grandparents shortly thereafter. I didn't find any of that out until I was a young adult, so that early memory had been a piece of the puzzle that just didn't fit until I knew the truth. I also understand the statement of not really feeling like a child.

I had to giggle about the ex-lax story. When I was a junior in high school, I was dating a very handsome jock. He had asked me to homecoming and my mother and I had gone shopping to buy my outfit and ended up spending a bundle. A few days later, he announced that him and his buddies decided they'd be too tired and dirty to go to homecoming -- they'd rather drink beer and eat pizza. I was extremely miffed, so in retaliation I went to the mall, bought a bunch of chocolate chip cookies and a box of ex-lax. I microwaved it (makes a lovely icing) and slathered those cookies with it for a "Gosh, honey, I'm so sorry I've been so grumpy lately" gift. The poor guy not only ate several, but took them to the locker room to share with his friends. We lost that game. [Pooper] And, I lost the boyfriend. Those little bars of chocolate can getcha in trouble!

**Kids, please don't try this. Stuff like this gets you sued in today's world, as it almost did me twenty years ago. Plus, it really is dangerous.

ghostwatch

0 +0

Oct 9 '07

Years ago we all must have found a great alternative way to use those chocolate goodies..LOL!! I'm sorry but that boyfriend deserved every flush he had to make Carrie, that was wrong. Anyway, your probably better off without him now anyway... [Yep!]

nakis

0 +0

Oct 9 '07

Good post Slyhorse.

Hmm. I have a memory of being in a crib looking at one of those things you dangle for infants to play with. It was a signal light (for traffic control, red/yellow/green) that was painted green. There were others but I remember that one as it was my favorite. I can't remember if that was the earliest or if dying was the earliest [Eek!] . Sometime while I was a baby, I either died or was just scared so badly I left my body. My guardian angel took care of me while I was 'out'. Of course she helped me back in. Those are the two earliest memories I can remember now.

I completely agree with you Slyhorse and Ghostwatch (not about the exlax [Laughing] ). I have memories of intelligent assessments of my parents, my life, the world around me. I posted elsewhere here about when I was three or four and I was angry and yelling about my resentment of how my world was. I can remember being admonished for acting like a baby when I was three and responding that my father acts that way all of the time, why are you trying to punish me for it. When I was four, after the yelling about my world I wished for knowledge so that I could understand why I had to live this way and so I could make my way through life. I understood interpersonal dynamics and had already projected what my life was most likely to resemble. I couldn't put it into words well but I could see it in my mind. I wasn't too happy with my life circumstances as an infant. Silly, isn't.

Eegads Carrie. What he did to you was terribly stupid, immature, thoughtless, unfair,..etc.... but eeks.... [Pooper] [Laughing]

P.S. What does 'globetrotter sara' mean?

Wickedwitchnorth

0 +0

Oct 9 '07

HAAAAAA HAAAAA The "chocolate" chip cookies is too funny. He deserved it!!!!

ghostwatch

0 +0

Oct 9 '07

There sure are alot of advanced souls on this board and, actually, it's quite nice! It seems I've finally come into my own with you all and it feels good.

I was never happy or contented with my whole childhood, it was just a preemble to something else. Very well said Nakis, I love the way you voice yourself. Seems you always know how to say things.

Yeah WWN, it much deserved his reward.... [Wink]

shyhorse

0 +0

Nov 6 '07

LOL, I missed the cookies story! LMAO... very very nice [Big Grin]

During my childhood, I often did things as an older kid, but realized it later. I mean, when I think at things in my past, they seem perfectly normal, then I think at my age back then and I'm surprised I was that young. But it never really worried me. I think I just accepted it. Then, more or less 5 years ago, I was told for the first time "I think you are an old soul". Back then, I had no idea of what it meant but later I was told other times by different people. "ok so... must be this the reason of my 'strange' childhood memories?" and the way I felt 'apart'. Not angry or rebel. Just apart.

PS: Sara is my name and Globetrotter is because I lived in many countries, moving every 2 or 3 years, due to my father's work (which never really helped with the 'feeling apart' issue, probably)