Forums · A note from your child's teacher

lizziegirl

0 +0

Jun 3 '08

Those of you with kids...you've gotten this drill probably a few times, but I just have to say it again!

It's summertime, school's out, and your kids just want to zone out. The best thing that you can do for your kids is to encourage them to read, read, and read some more over the course of the summer!Kids who don't, show a huge backward slide in skills and that makes the start of the new school year just that much harder! (especially if your kiddo is already a struggling reader). Be a good role model yourself by reading as well! It could be something as simple as reading the daily newspaper or in depth as reading that HUGE novel you've had your eye on. Or better yet, go to the public library summer reading program and have your child pick out some books. You can read those to them. It gives that needed one on one time as well as showing them that reading is a very cool thing to do!
Research has shown that if a child is not reading at grade level by the time they enter third grade, it will be a significant struggle for them to ever catch up. (harsh, I know...)
Ok...I'm off of my soapbox...enjoy your summer..

Lizzie [Rainbow Smiley]
Rating: 0

nakis

0 +0

Jun 3 '08

As a child I was dying to learn how to read. As soon as I could I read alot. I'll never say that knowledge equates wisdom but knowledge is a key ingredient to a happier life.

Just borrowing Lizzie's soapbox.

My brother makes it part of their regimen to read. His eldest daughter could read and write before she started school. She's quite the bright high schooler now. Has great prospects for college.

Off the soapbox now. =)

Carrie

0 +0

Jun 8 '08

Great post, Lizziegirl!!! I started working with Brianna by the time she was about 18 months old. She just finished pre-K this year and is now reading on about an early 2nd grade level. She is so proud of herself! As a former teacher, I can't say it enough...if you've got kids, make it a routine to work with them on a regular basis.

James is now tutoring two jr. high boys who have had tremendous difficulties passing a state standardized math test. I can't help but think if their parents had pushed them a little less in extra-curricular activities and given a little more encouragement academically, these two very bright young men wouldn't be struggling now.

NMLadyNative

0 +0

Jun 9 '08

That was one thing at least my Parents did right - they read to me and with me a lot.
I was ahead of my classes as early as Preschool.
My Teachers were just astonished and in disbelief.
They were so jealous of my abilites, they tried to make certain that I got held back, but nothing doing, my Parents threatened to Home School me if they tried to keep me back.
However, as years went on, I wish they had carried through with that threat - I HATED School!

misspiggy40

0 +0

Jun 11 '08

If you were ahead of your class, how could they hold you back? Who was jealous, the teachers with the college degrees? I'm confused. If they were jealous, how could homeschooling you be a threat to them?
My girls love to read. We always to to the library and book stores.

NMLadyNative

0 +0

Jun 11 '08

Yes, it was the Teachers with the College Degrees. They decided I was "too different" for knowing a lot more Book Learning.
They were less than encouraging.
It would have been a Threat to their Jobs, they told my Parents they would imprison them for Homeschooling me, so my Parents caved to them.

NMLadyNative

0 +0

Jun 14 '08

Los Angeles Unified School District.
No, they didn't know.
Yep.

NMLadyNative

0 +0

Jun 14 '08

No, what I am saying, is that they could have lost their Jobs for Not wanting to teach the way that should have been done.
I think you misunderstood.

NMLadyNative

0 +0

Jun 16 '08

i don't know, right off hand. I would have to think on that some.
Well, back then, things happened. Let's put it that way.
I did try to stand up to what was happening, but everyone told me to be quiet and stay out of it, so I did.
I don't and am Not blaming Teachers. I am just saying that back in the day I was going to school, things were not a good situation.
It was the Schools that made me not like school.
I did try though and Graduated, much to the chagrin of most of the Teachers and Students alike.

zzzowl

0 +0

Jun 16 '08

Misunderstandings are a human condition, especially when we all have passions that we support and defend. Patience and tolerance helps us to understand our differences. Loving kindness to all. zzzowl

zzzowl

0 +0

Jun 18 '08

For me...and speaking only for me, "sense" is subjective, complex, and unique to every individual's personal experience. If I stand in judgement of anothers interpretations, I struggle with unanswerable questions that live rent-free in my head. Space I can't afford to share with the unknown. Peace, zzzowl

zzzowl

0 +0

Jun 20 '08

NMLN how are you? Glad to hear you are making progress in your endevors. peace, zzzowl

zzzowl

0 +0

Jun 20 '08

Not particularly tolerant or friendly. Move on.

misspiggy40

0 +0

Jun 20 '08

I know she isn't, that's exactly what I have
been saying, thanks for agreeing with me, so now I will move on.

zzzowl

0 +0

Jun 20 '08

I didn't mean her.

misspiggy40

0 +0

Jun 21 '08

I did, but I have moved on, maybe you should
do the same.

becca!spiritkeep

0 +0

Jul 4 '08

School systems are designed with the least bright students in mind IMHO. My husband is a good example. He was Catholic school educated for the first 6 years of school, then was put in public school. He had already been taught what they teach in public school up to the ninth grade, so he, being a kid, did what kids do when they are bored, he got into trouble. His grandparents raised him to be a reader, and he is an amazing self educator.
A similar situation to the original poster was what it sounded like to me. Not that she was so wrapped up in herself.