Forums · Hurricane Ike

Carrie

0 +0

Sep 17 '08

Hey everyone! I just wanted to send out a note on disaster preparedness. My family and I fled during hurricane Ike. We are not that close to the coast; but given the size and potential danger of this monster, we decided to bug out. I had no desire to put Brianna through the trauma of staying in her home and riding the storm out.

Folks in coastal communities are a stubborn lot; some probably fancy themselves the sailors of old and in truth, they do have much in common. However, don't ever dismiss the warnings. In the case of Texas, people were told if they did not head out, they would face "certain death." Some thought that was an exaggeration -- some of them aren't around now. If you are told to get out of the area , take the advice. Your things can be replaced -- your life, and the lives of the people you love can't.

Make sure you have all medications for your family, and a little extra. If you have a baby, make sure you stock up on formula and diapers. Prepare for gas shortages. People in our community are driving 20 plus miles to buy gas to run generators and then waiting three to four hours in lines. If you know you can't live without electricity for three weeks or more, buy a generator. Don't do it at the last minute; people get desperate and sellers will take full advantage of you. Buy them in the off season.

Water -- stockpile it. We need it to drink, to maintain some version of hygeine and to flush toilets. Try living a week or more without proper ventilation using the same toilet. They say to provide 3 gallons a day for every individual in your family; I think that is a conservative estimate. Most stores are still not open and it is sketchy as to when they will be. You can't just go out after the storm is over to buy more.

Food -- a lot of folks will eat things in their freezer after the electricity has been off several days. This is dicey. We threw everything out. Every time you go to the grocery store, pick up a few canned goods to have for such occasions. For my own family, I picked up soups that James and Brianna would eat, granola bars for me, and peanut butter. If you've got a coleman stove, grill, etc...you can heat things up. I've never camped a day in my life and don't intend to start now; my idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn. So, I don't know how to use any of that stuff, but those of you who were girl or boy scouts would. They come in handy! Make sure you have paper cups and plates and plastic eating utensils, because you aren't going to be doing dishes anytime soon either.

Stock up on batteries. Have plenty of flashlights on hand. I try to avoid candles with small children and pets. Make sure you have a battery operated radio, because to some extent, you may be cut off from all communication with the outside world for a while. Expect your cell phone not to work. Let extended family and friends know ahead of time where you are going.

Don't rely on any government agencies. I don't want to offend anyone, but I'll put it bluntly. It doesn't matter who is in office; whenever you deal with bureaucrats, they are going to inevitably screw things up. It's easy to point fingers and blame; just trust me on this one, when you hear "we're from the government and we're here to help..." Run in the opposite direction. Count on them not to do what they've promised they would do. If they actually do, then you can be pleasantly surprised. I've watched local elected officials all but foam at the mouth in frustration over FEMA. They obviously have never dealt with them before.

With that said, there are a lot of unsung heroes in these situations. The guys on these electric crews do an awesome job. You may be without electricity for weeks, but you can bet they are busting their heineys to get everyone up and running. They sometimes literally camp outdoors in conditions that aren't any better than the folks they are trying to help. During this particular storm, they are being flown in by helicopter in order to repair substations because that is the only way they can get in. Our game wardens and forrestry service -- the same Bubba Redneck that has feuded with his local game warden for years may be awfully glad to see him when he rides up like a knight in shining armor to the rescue. Some of the most dramatic rescues in Katrina were by these men and women. I saw them at it during Rita and I've heard they are out again with this storm. These are the "good guys."

Finally, our local communities. Catastrophic events like these are the great equalizer. Rich or poor, you know there is a good chance you may come home and everything you've ever worked for is gone. Don't count on your ATM machine to work either, and the banks are all closed, so even if you have the funds, they may not be available. Things like this either bring out the best in a person, or the worst. You see and hear about people looting, getting into arguments over who is next in gas and food lines, etc...what you don't see is neighbors helping neighbors and total strangers. The media doesn't show the woman with four children in need of a tarp to cover the gaping hole in her home being helped out by the fellow down the street or just passing by. The media doesn't let you know about the little country church that brings in a generator and opens it's doors as a shelter for all and their members providing a good meal and kind word to those who need it. BTW, don't count on your mega churches to do anything like that; they can't take the risk of letting the riff raff in. The media isn't going to tell you about the guy that runs the hamburger stand setting up in a parking lot to cook and give away free food to those who are hungry. These are the people who help you survive a hurricane; not the pencil pushers. If you notice, I did not mention the Red Cross. Once again, I do not wish to offend anyone and I respect the opinions of others, but just personally, they are more that I prefer to run from. They do a lot of good things, but they do some things that I don't approve of. It's just a personal preference. I know of at least one little community in East Texas where the Red Cross was invited to leave -- and for good reason.

My family was extremely fortunate during Ike. We headed out, stayed in a hotel for several days (which also lost power when the storm ripped through that town) and were amongst the first to get electricity back. We had a 100 year old pecan tree miss our bedroom within inches, wiping out part of our fence. James' tool shed was destroyed along with his grill.

When I look at the pictures of Galveston, I cry. I lived in that area while I was in college. I ate at those restaurants, played on those beaches, shopped at the little stores along the seawall. My grandfather had worked at the Balinese Room during its glory years. These places are wiped off the face of the earth now and so many lives will never be the same. It is hard to imagine without seeing it just how far reaching the destruction is. As the crow flies, we are probably about 100 miles inland, but the maintainance man where James works had four trees fall on his home, completely destroying it. Just down the road, we have a family living outdoors because their home was destroyed and another who has nothing but pink insulation hanging from what used to be the walls of his house. Even around the Marshall/ Jefferson area, which is northeast Texas, I saw significant damage to property.

I have my doubts that a bunch of pretty celebrities will join together to have publicity opportunities, oops, telethons for the victims of Hurricane Ike. The Houston/Galveston area, despite its rich history does not have the romantic appeal that New Orleans does and in truth, they were much better prepared than the victims of Katrina. So, if you can't give your time to volunteer, or your money to help relief efforts, at least give the folks in Houston, Galveston and surrounding communities your heartfelt prayers and comforting thoughts.
Rating: 0

seaghost

0 +0

Oct 3 '08

Carrie,
You advice was excellent!

Living within 30 miles of the sea I am prepared from June 1 on through the storm season. I have been in a hurricane on the Outer Banks of NC and it is no foolin' frightening!! the surge smashed into our house- we were lucky to have an old banks house built for storms- unlike the modern million dollar beach ticky tacky hurricane bait! The wind is like banshees screaming all around you. the water roars like a thousands of lions! You cant hear anything but that.

We got caught by surprise with this storm- it was over 40 years ago. We had no tv and no radio and just thought it was another outer banks howler until it was too late and the bridges to the mainland were all awash. thank god for the weather channel and the good reporting nowadays!

It's funny how many feel they can ride it out- like the sailors of old or maybe just ignorance of what a hurricane does (seaside newbies). You see it on the weather channel but that really doesnt tell the story.

I am out of the official flood zone but I can still get and have had water in my house. Folks think that just because the winds will drop to 90 MPH this far away it's no biggy.Well, that's when all the tree tops start to snap and fly right into your windows!
The there are the tornados that plague us back in from the coast. To me that is the most scarey part.

The problem we have over here is that no matter where we evac to the storm is going to be right on our tails. There will be no rooms along the way. the gas will run out along I-95.

So- if the storm is a cat1 or 2 I stay. The only way to get out is to hit the 301 and the 441 and head up to western NC in the mountains. Then I will put Maisy Sue in the vehicle and take off, hunker down somewhere along the road and turn around when it is over.

In florida we are never more than 65 miles from the sea. Scarey!!! We are flat, water filled anyway and there is nothing but distance to lessen the winds.

Recently,Tropical storm Faye had tornados that tore things up right where I am and I could hear the low rumbling boom-boomin' of their passing. It about give me a heart attack!

Also- they ordered and evac for the St. Augustine and jacksonville are for Hurricane floyd some years ago and nothing happened. He scooted by the coast and tore off the end of the Jax Beach pier. Now folks don't trust evac warnings. Can't blame then but they still need to take it to heart.

Anyway- thankyou for the comprehensive advice- maybe some on this board live near enough to have this happen but dont really "get it". I think you took good care of that!!

thanks again- seaghost

[ October 03, 2008, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: seaghost ]
Rating: 0