Forums · Control: The Legacy of Cults

PaulDale Roberts

0 +0

Dec 9 '08

Control: The Legacy of Cults
By Paul Dale Roberts, HPI General Manager/Cultologist
By Shannon McCabe, HPI President/Cultologist

Back in the 70s, I did a Sociology report for college. The report was about certain cults that existed in America. What better way to do that was to go undercover to various cult churches and talk with the cult members one-on-one. I actually investigated the Hare Krishna in San Francisco, Peoples’ Temple in San Francisco, The Church of Satan in San Francisco and the Church of Scientology in Sacramento. I will detail my past findings about these groups, after you get to read Shannon McCabe and my interview with ex-Mormon Trisha Stevens. Shannon and I, became 'cultologists' for this interview, take it away Cultologist Shannon McCabe!

Shannon: How did you get involved with the Mormon Church?

Trisha: When I was 11 years old, my mother married a man who was a bit of a lowlife. He was a Mormon by baptism, but didn’t practice. When he lost all of his money to gambling and cocaine abuse, he turned to the Church for help. The Church sent missionaries to our home to teach us the ways of the Mormons. After an eternity of teachings, my mother and I were baptized as Mormons, I was 11 years old at the time.

Paul: Would you say that the teachings at the Mormon Church were similar to teachings you received at school?

Trisha: No! Sister Meriam Thomas, my Sunday school teacher, told me not to listen to my science teacher, because they were trying to derail the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Shannon: Could you elaborate?

Trisha: My Sunday school teacher told me that some of the science that we hear about in school was made up by Satan. I asked her about the dinosaurs I saw in the museum and she told me they were put there by Satan.

Shannon: How long were you a Mormon?

Trisha: 2 years.

Paul: Why didn’t you stay longer as a Mormon?

Trisha: My mother and I didn’t understand what they were trying to teach us; because it went against everything we knew. Once my mother caught my stepfather being a peeping tom, breaking into women’s houses and stealing their panties, their relationship was over and so was our relationship with the Mormon Church.

Shannon: I understand that Mormons stockpile food, why do they do this?

Trisha: Yes, they stockpile food for the end-of-world or a catastrophe. What I didn’t understand, is that they will refuse to feed a neighbor that is not Mormon, even if they are starving.
Paul: Looking back at this, do you feel the Mormons do things that are not of the norm?

Trisha: Definitely, their family ideals and moral values are very good, but I cannot believe in something that goes against science.

Shannon: Do you ever feel like you were being brainwashed?

Trisha: By their constant preaching of don’t believe in science. How I was told that dinosaur bones in museums are fake, that you MUST give ten percent to the Church and don’t associate with people that are not Mormon as they will lead you astray.

Paul: Why do you feel the Mormons are a cult?

Trisha: Because they try to warp your mind and have you believe in their way of thinking. Really, how can I believe in some tablets that were talked about by Joseph Smith? These tablets are what the entire Mormon religion are based on, and they were never even found!

Shannon: What do you believe in now?

Trisha: M-Theory. Yep! I love science now!

That was our interview with Trisha and how she feels about the Mormon Church. When I conducted my undercover investigation of various cults, this is what I discovered:

Church of Satan. It is a requirement to completely read the Satanic Bible and understand the teachings of this Bible. When I told them that I only partially read the Bible, they told me not to come back to the Church until the Satanic Bible was thoroughly read and that they would quiz me later. Their connection to the paranormal: Satan.

Church of Scientology. Instantly they wanted money for various sessions that would teach me the ways of Scientology. There were various levels of Scientology that I needed to learn and everything costs a huge amount of money to learn. They kept doodling on a piece of paper, explaining how a mind gets clouded and that Scientology or Dianetics would uncloud my mind. Everything that was told to me in my first session, I would counteract with the opposite. Finally I was asked to leave the Church and not to come back. I felt the purpose of Scientology was to take their members money, anyway they can and to give allegiance to a science fiction writer named L. Ron Hubbard. Their connection to the paranormal: UFOs.

The horror of Scientology is that they appear to be a religion as a cynical ploy to avoid taxes and investigations. They use pyramid schemes in which is a method to sell self improvement courses. The suicide rate for Scientologists is high. I can only wonder why. It was L. Ron Hubbard that once said…"The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion." He knew what he was talking about.

Hare Krishna: While the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) sets out to have their members abandon their old way of life and live on the street preaching the Krishna way, it has had trouble along the way. Some of their main gurus have landed in prison after allegations of child abuse or member abuse. Brainwashing is set forth through their teachings. Many members have left this cult in disgust after numerous sex and money scandals that their leaders were involved in. Their connection to the paranormal: Mysticism and different states of consciousness.

Peoples’ Temple: The members I interviewed were very disenchanted with the Church. They felt Reverend Jim Jones felt he was the Messiah, that he wanted control and ultimate power from his followers. We all know the legacy of the Peoples’ Temple. A legacy of death, of mass suicide. There connection to the paranormal: Reverend Jim Jones felt he was the messiah.

How do Cults Seek Control?
• A cult teaches that they are right and everyone else is wrong, see Trisha’s comments in her interview about how science is the work of Satan. When the Church told Trisha that science is Satanic, they wanted her to believe this.
• A cult often teaches, that you should never ask questions. They want you to accept their teachings as fact.
• A cult teaches that something negative will happen to you, if their teachings are not followed.
• A cult might ostracize and reject a member who disagrees with the group. That member becomes a social outcast.
• A cult may avoid any person that doesn’t follow their ways, including family members or friends to cult members.
• A cult tries to control its members with strict rules. Example: Who to marry, what to wear, whom to talk to. This way the cult will affect all aspects of a member’s life.
• A cult may try to reduce outside influences, declaring such influences as misleading and are evil temptations.
• A cult may require members to change their name or other identifying characteristics to symbolically reject their former selves.
• A cult may require members to permanently mark their bodies with tattoos or scars to identify themselves as members of the group.
• A cult may require members to abuse themselves or somebody else to prove their devotion. This abuse may take the form of physical abuse, sexual abuse, verbal abuse, psychological abuse.
• A cult may teach that others are trying to stop them from spreading the truth, creating an us-vs.-them mentality.
Cult leaders may interpret readings through psychic phenomenon, ancient scriptures or their own misinterpretation of the Bible. They will expect their followers to believe all of their teachings.

Shannon & Paul's Final Words to Trisha:
Trisha, we are happy that you have found your way towards living a normal and healthy life and thank you for sharing your experiences with the Mormon Church. Have a great life and prosper!

Paul Dale Roberts, HPI General Manager, Paranormal Investigator & Ghostwriter
Haunted and Paranormal Investigations International
www.HPI.paranormal.net[/URL]
www.ghostgirls.net[/URL]
www.nancybradley.org[/URL]
www.jazmaonline.com[/URL]
Staff Writer - Alien Seeker News -
http://www.alienseekernews.com/[/URL]
http://www.shannonmccabe.com/Conversationswithaserialkiller.html[/URL]
(See Paul & Shannon on TV Show 'Conversation w/a Serial Killer at link above)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dale_Roberts[/URL]
WPRT Paranormal Radio - Content Editor
Email: JazmaPika@cs.com
Paranormal Cellular Hotline: 916 203 7503 (for comments on this story).

If you have a possible investigation call: 1-888-709-4HPI

Copyright © 2008 Paul Dale Roberts, HPI Ghostwriter Copyright © 2008
all rights reserved.