Forums · Interview with James Rubino

PaulDale Roberts

0 +0

Jan 4 '09

Interview with James Rubino, Creator of Ancient Tales from the Future.

Interviewed by: Paul Dale Roberts, Publisher www.jazmaonline.com[/URL]

Question: Tell us something personal about yourself, your family life, schools you went to, etc.

Last year I began working on a project I’ve wanted to do for quite awhile- retelling the story of my life in “segments”- essentially for the benefit of my children. I published the first book “Stories from my childhood” in 2008 and sent it to a handful of longtime friends. It was very well received. If there’s enough interest I may release it to the general public as well. Now I’m working on the second book- stories from my teen years. My goal is to finish one book in this series per year.

Question: What was the first comic book you ever read?

The second-hand DC and Charlton war comics passed along to me by my older brother Joe.

Question: How did the concept of “Ancient Tales from the Future” (ATFTF) come about?

I’ve always felt that the kids of today have a difficult time relating to the Biblical stories replete with camels, tents and robes. They are not in our experience. I wanted to take the same characters and events and place them in a futuristic setting which would be of interest to today’s generation of readers. “Jonah 2056” is the first of that series.

Question: What was the motivating factor for ATFTF?

I wanted to do a comic that expressed my feelings about God but in a creative, entertaining manner- not “preachy”.

Question: Will there be other issues?

I hope so. I have several of them plotted already.

Question: Is there a message you are trying to relate to the readers with this comic book?

I think there’s a lot in the story of Jonah. It tells of a very human person not a little tin god like the religious figures and political demagogues of today.

Question: Do you have anything else in the works?

“Followers of the All” #1, an allegorical science-fiction series, is scheduled to come out this Spring, God willing. I’d also like to release “Tales from the Seventh Galaxy” #3 and a couple of other books this year as well.

Question: I know you know, that I am the President of Jazma Online! But, you may not realize that I am also the General Manager and a paranormal investigator for H.P.I. (Haunted and Paranormal Investigations) of Northern California at
www.hpiparanormal.net[/URL] and I am their ghostwriter. Anyway, I must ask you an off-the-wall question. Have you ever had a paranormal experience and if you did, can you tell us about it?

I really had to put on my thinking-cap for that one. It’s not an experience I had directly but it was very unusual. My grandparents had a very close relationship and when my grandfather died my grandmother was very distraught. Later she related to me a story of what she said happened to her shortly after his death. She was sitting up in bed one afternoon when all of a sudden she felt very strange. She then saw my grandfather sort of “float” into the room. He was still wearing his hospital garments and my grandmother said the little tie-strings were fluttering as if in a breeze. She was startled and called out a term of endearment she’d always used with him. He simply looked at her and gently smiled. Then he “floated” back out the doorway and was gone. After that she said she felt at peace because she knew he was happy and had come to reassure her. Coming from my grandmother who was a very serious-minded, no-nonsense German woman whom I had never heard make a religious comment in her life- yes, I believe it did happen.

Question: What conventions will you be attending or have attended?

I’ve never been to one, believe it or not.

Question: How can someone contact you?

They can email me at: jaruarts@juno.com or write me at PO Box 760351, San Antonio, Texas 78245.

Question: Do you have a website, and if you do what is the URL address?

www.jamesrubino.com[/URL]

Question: What are your hobbies and recreational activities?

Mostly hanging out with my kids. We have a lot of fun together. Other than that, reading or drawing.

Question: If you can have 6 dinner guests, 3 fictional and 3 real-life from any time period, who would those 6 people be and why?

To be honest, there’s no one I’m terribly interested in meeting- other than Jesus Christ- there’s a lot of things I’d like to ask him.

Question: If you could go into a time machine, what year would you stop at and tell us why.

It’s funny- that’s a question I’ve asked many people. I guess it comes from being dissatisfied with our present lives or the present world. For me, I’d like to go back to 1950 as an adult and relive the twenty year period from 1950-1970. There were so many wonderful things that were produced during that time- comic books, classic paperbacks, TV shows, science-fiction movies. And it was just a nicer time period.

Question: What TV shows, movies, cartoons do you like?

Mainly I watch shows with my kids. Children’s movies. I picked up the “Leave it to Beaver” DVD set and they loved it. Also, “Snow White and the Three Stooges” went over real big recently.

Question: What books do you enjoy?

I love to read. Mostly science-fiction books from the 40’s and 50’s or true-life survival stories. Also true espionage or wartime escape accounts.

Question: What comic books do you read now?

I like the “Marvel Essentials” series which reprints the old Marvel Silver Age comics in black & white. It really showcases the beauty of the art.

Question: What gives you your creative energy?

That’s always come from within- it’s part of who I am. I could sooner stop breathing than stop creating.

Question: If ATFTF became a movie, who would play the main character parts and why?

I’d like to see “Jonah 2056” done as a high-quality animation similar in style to the “Barbie” movies style of realistic animation.

Question: This ends the interview, any encouraging words of wisdom?

I think it was the Chinese who said, “the longest journey begins with the first step”. Goals can be achieved but they require taking one step at a time- plus a lot of patience and perseverance!